Monday, August 23, 2010

Do-Overs (a.k.a. Be gentle)

My first week of school didn't go perfectly. It was wonderful ... just not "perfect." I made a few mistakes; well, okay, a bunch. Fortunately, we are part of a community of grace and forgiveness, and I know that I shouldn't just give up on the whole year at this point. We seek excellence around here, but we do so as imperfect creatures.

A few words from Always We Begin Again, which happens to have been written by John McQuiston, my father.

"When we rise from sleep let us rise for the joy
of the true Work that we will be about on this day,
and considerately cheer one another on.

Life will always provide matters for concern.
Each day, however, brings with it reasons for joy.

Every day carries the potential
to bring the experience of heaven;
have the courage to expect good from it.

Be gentle with this life,
and use the light of life
to live fully in your time."